Shortage of biologists?! Need YSN contact for protest.

Tue May 25 12:45:02 EST 1993

> basic research. If we didn't have foreign students in the applicant
> pool, we'd be in big trouble.

And this is why I'll bet the Labor Dept is changing the rules to give
people green cards.

> I'm not even sure that expected income is the big issue. In molecular
> biology, there are more jobs in industry, and the pay is far better,
> than in academia. I think the real thing that keeps students out of
> science is that it is perceived as being boring.

I'd take 5 to 1 odds on your first reason instead of the second one.
Even industry can't soak up everyone currently, and I still wonder to
what extent it is viewed as the consolation prize among up and coming
students.  Any professor that is still fostering such an
anti-commercial attitude in students is doing them a grave injustice.

Dave