bionet.* readers

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Wed May 26 11:31:52 EST 1993

whitsitt at bioch.tamu.edu (Mark S. Whitsitt, N5RJF) writes:

>Here's a toughie...

Not really 8-).  We run a survey each October ...

>I am just wondering if anyone has an estimate of the number of internet users
>that use the bionet groups.  I would say that the number of people who actually
>post to the group is a very small fraction of the lurkers out there reading
>these newsgroups.  Also, there is the e-mail contingent... hmmm...  It would be
>interesting to know what kind of "circulation" there is here.

>Maybe Dave Kristofferson might have a guess.

Here is more than just a guess ... This was posted on
BIONEWS/bionet.announce near the end of '92.  I would not be surprised
if readership is up by another third since this survey was taken.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				kristoff at net.bio.net

Geographical Distribution of Fall 1992 BIOSCI Survey Respondents
survey.

Estimated BIONEWS/bionet.general readership = approx. 1350.  This is
about a 47% increase from Fall 1991 (~920) to Fall 1992 (~1350).

Breakdown by Country
--------------------

No.	Country		  %
---	-------		 ---
474	USA		55.0%	(non-U.S. is 45.0%)
90	UK		10.4
47	Australia	 5.5
45	Canada		 5.2
37	Germany		 4.3
26	France		 3.0
17	Japan		 2.0
17	Netherlands	 2.0
11	Switzerland	 1.3
10	New Zealand	 1.2
9	Belgium		 1.0
8	Spain		 0.9
7	South Africa	 0.8
6	Israel		 0.7
6	Sweden		 0.7
5	Austria		 0.6
5	Finland		 0.6
5	Italy		 0.6
5	Taiwan		 0.6
4	Czechoslovakia	 0.5
4	Norway		 0.5
3	Denmark		 0.3
3	Turkey		 0.3
2	Estonia		 0.2
2	India		 0.2
2	Ireland		 0.2
2	Poland		 0.2
1	Brazil		 0.1
1	Costa Rica	 0.1
1	Ecuador		 0.1
1	Hong Kong	 0.1
1	Korea		 0.1
1	Mexico		 0.1
1	Philippines	 0.1
1	Portugal	 0.1
1	Singapore	 0.1
1	Uruguay		 0.1
0	Columbia	 0.0	(These countries had respondents
0	Egypt		 0.0     in the 1991 survey but not
0	Greece		 0.0     in 1992.)