Shortage of biologists?! Need YSN contact for protest.

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Sat May 29 17:12:04 EST 1993

In article <olam-270593145514 at 129.240.38.55> olam at radium.uio.no (Ola Myklebost) writes:

>In Europe, going abroad for a postdoc is regarded as an important part of a
>science career and for the developement of science itself. Please do
>nothing to prevent this from continuing.

Sigh.  Am I missing something (often the case)?  The issue is not postdocs
or graduate fellowships but the shrinking number of jobs these people are
SUPPOSEDLY being trained for.  I'm unaware of any proposal to make it harder
for a non-citizen to get a fellowship or postdoc in the US.

>Why don't jobless US PhDs apply for a postdoc in Europe?

I, for one, appreciate your attempt to help but I have a friend here who
might take offense at the suggestion.  She's on her second postdoc and is
faced with the choice of taking a third postdoc or getting out.  She's
getting out and seeking a teaching certification.

Mike