Shortage of biologists?! Need YSN contact for protest.

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Sat May 29 15:59:04 EST 1993

In article <CMM.0.90.2.738351902.kristoff at net.bio.net> kristoff at NET.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) writes:
>> basic research. If we didn't have foreign students in the applicant
>> pool, we'd be in big trouble.
>
>And this is why I'll bet the Labor Dept is changing the rules to give
>people green cards.

You mean because they preceive the need for foreign students to indicate the
need for foreign PhD's as well?  That has been mentioned as a contributing
factor.  That and the sloppy study of PhD level jobs done in 1988.  Let's not
let anyone forget though, that the rule changes are for PhD jobs, not
graduate fellowships or post-docs (at least as far as I understand it from
the Science article and the YSN).

Mike