Are introns just junk?

John Logsdon jlogsdon at bio.indiana.edu
Mon Nov 1 10:22:12 EST 1993

In article <1993Oct31.210157.17662 at ac.dal.ca> , arlin at ac.dal.ca writes:
[stuff about some crap in textbooks]

I wrote:
>>      Also, (donning my jeweled turbin) I predict many of these
>> evolutionary conclusions about introns will be changed in the coming
>> years.

Arlin, again:
>Gosh, John, is this prediction based on some top-secret discovery by Team
>Palmer, or did it come to you in a vision?  Please fill us in!

You make my (tongue in turbin, er... cheek) point exactly!! The textbooks
are wrong.  (It really does not take a vision or anything top-secret to
know that ;-} ) This ia particularly regarding the exon/domain thing, but
also their general heavy leaning toward Introns-Early, both which have
very little empirical support.

John Logsdon         Department of Biology
                     Indiana University
                     Bloomington, IN  47405
                     (812) 855-2549
                     (812) 855-6705 fax