German "social status" still offensive

Diane Hope Peapus peapud at aix02.ecs.rpi.edu
Tue Nov 2 15:47:35 EST 1993

>Newsgroups: bionet.jobs
>From: W.Chen at de.dkfz-heidelberg (Weiyun Chen)
>Subject: RE: POSITIONS IN BIOCOMPUTING AND MATHEMATICAL BIOLOGY
>Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1993 09:35:26 GMT

>In my article <1993Oct28.153842.24801 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, concerning
>
>> POSITIONS IN BIOCOMPUTING AND MATHEMATICAL BIOLOGY
>> AT THE GERMAN CANCER RESEARCH CENTER (DKFZ), HEIDELBERG
>
>I wrote
>>                                                 [ ... ] Salaries will
>> fall within the German BAT IIa - Ib groups (cca DM 70-80 000 per annum
>> depending on experience and social status) [ ... ]
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>First I apologize for insulting some people without any intention.
>In Germany the BAT system is quiet complicated, your salary depends
>not only on your age but also on your marital status and how many
>children you have etc. Unfortunately we chose the term "social status"
>without knowing that people might misunderstand it.
>
>Best regards,
>					Weiyun Chen

	Unfortunately, your explanation is no less offensive than some of
the presumptions.  People's salaries should be determined based on what
they do while they are in work.  What they do in their spare time is their
own business and has no place in the salary calculation.  Who's the German
BAT system to determine that it is more valid for a person to spend
20K/year to keep a child than to spend 20K/year to build and keep a sail
boat?  Thus rewarding the child barer with additional salary and punishing
the sail boat builder with less?  The choice of the word "social status" is
very appropriate based on your explanation of it's meaning, and the
objection to the meaning stands even stronger than the objection to the
choice of words.  It's easy to forgive people for choosing an inappropriate
word in a translation.  But the objection here is conceptual and not
translational.

	It seems as though 4th Reich has become more subtle in their
imposition of behavior modification on the masses than it's predecessors
have been.  So subtle that Weiyun Chen feels obligated to defend it.

	I would appeal to the moderator of these news groups to deny job
posting privileges to the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), and other
employers who determine salary based on social status.

			Sincerely,
			Diane H Peapus