paraformaldehyde references

Francisco Javier H Blazquez fjhblazq at FOX.CCE.USP.BR
Mon Nov 15 09:44:17 EST 1993

       I am sorry but I only could send the references you asked
this week. I hope it is still useful to you.

*1. Lillie, R. D.; Fullmer, H. M. HISTOPATHOLOGIC TECHNIC AND PRACTICAL
       HISTOCHEMISTRY. New York, McGrawhill, 4o ed., 1976, p.30-35.

*2. Hayat, M. A. FIXATION FOR ELECTRON MICROSCOPY. London, Ac. Press, 1981.

*3. Pearse, A. G. E. HISTOCHEMISTRY THEORETICAL AND APPLIED. VOLUME ONE:
       PREPARATIVE AND OPTICAL TECHNOLOGY. 4o ed., 1980, p.97-101.

*4. Fox, C. H.; Johnson, F. B.; Whiting, J.; Roller, P.P. Formaldehyde
       Fixation. JOURNAL OF HISTOCHEMISTRY AND CYTOCHEMISTRY:33(8), 845-853,
       1985.

       As I mentioned in my previous mail, you can dissolve the
paraformaldehyde in distilled water to a 40% solution heated to
80 oC. If the powder don`t dissolves, a 40% solution of NaOH can
be added drop by drop while the solution is stirred until the
paraformaldehyde solution turns clear. That solution must be stocked
at 37 oC. I don`t know where is the reference about this method, but that
works. You only have to dilute to 4% in phosphate buffer pH 7,2 and 0,1 M.
If you want a good fixative for optical microcopy purpose, glutaraldehyde
may be adde to make a final concentration of 4% paraformaldehyde and 1%
glutaraldehyde and perhaps to do a postfixation wiht glutaraldehyde for
electron microscopic observation.
Good luck.

Francisco Javier Hernandez Blazquez
Dpto. de Histologia