How does the cell deal with ever-expression ?

SCHLOSSER at ciit.org SCHLOSSER at ciit.org
Tue Nov 23 07:24:00 EST 1993

I recall a talk I heard several years ago on efforts to increase flux
to one or more of the aromatic amino acids (*NOT* by Niederberger).
The speaker conjectured that some of the intermediates are not well
tolerated by the organism at high/excess concentrations, so over-expressing
the enzymes "upstream" but not "downstream" can have an adverse effect on
growth, if it's not out-right lethal.  The obvious corrolary is that one
would be unlikely to actually observe an extreme case of this (one that is
lethal) but he had observed several cases where growth was adversely affectec
though the additional flux should not have been sufficient to "drain" cellular
resources.

Paul
schlosser at beta.ciit.org