Middle Ear Prosthesis materials

Victor_Glushko at uu0850.pharmetr.com Victor_Glushko at uu0850.pharmetr.com
Mon Nov 29 04:31:06 EST 1993

Sounds interesting.

Bioglass from U of Florida was hot several years ago, but interest in it seems
to have died down.  Ceramics continue to be used although they are harder to
shape.  There are lots of implantable materials that have been shown to be
quite biocompatible even after decades of implantation -- but the issue goes
beyond compatibility to.maintaining functionality.

One factor that tends to be overlooked is how well these tiny prostheses be
positioned and stay in position.  There are obvious limitations as to what one
can do to "hold" them in place.  Regardless of how biocompatible a material
is, even if its a homograft from the other ear, if its flopping around, the
body could treat it as a foreign body or worse.

It is my impression that many things have been shown to work early on only to lose transmission effectiveness later.

I would be interested in learning what you come up with.