DMSO/Plastic bottles

Marc Wiles wilesm at
Tue Nov 23 17:35:40 EST 1993

An inherent problem with DMSO, besides the fact that it's a very nasty
chemical to use, is that is a beautiful carrier for many organic and
inorganic agents.  It is entirely possible that the DMSO picked up
something from inside the bottle and you transfered the substance to your

Personally, knowing that DMSO can be carcinogenic and teratogenic, I
wouldn't use it as a topical applicant.  Having worked in the
pharmaceutical industry during my post-doc, I can tell you that safety
people have fits if you don't take care when handling DMSO.