Animal Rights reasoning catchs on

SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Mon Oct 4 18:55:19 EST 1993

Michael Holloway Writes:

> This was bounced to me this morning.  Thought it might be appreciated, for
> any number of reasons, by some folks here.  It's the next logical extension
> of the "animal rights" philosophy.

> Subject: new flash
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> SEVEN SOFTWARE COMPANIES ADDED TO "WATCH LIST"
>
> New York, NJ, Sept. 24 -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Software
> (PETS) announced today that seven more software companies have been
> added to the group's "watch list" of companies that regularly practice
> software testing.
>
> "There is no need for software to be mistreated in this way so that companies
> like these can market new products," said Ken Granola, spokesperson for PETS.
> "Alternative methods of testing these products are available."
>
> According to PETS, these companies force software to undergo lengthly
> and arduous tests, often without rest for hours or days at a
> time. Employees are assigned to "break" the software by any means
> necessary, and inside sources report that they often joke about
> "torturing" the software.
>
> "It's no joke," said Granola. "Innocent programs, from the day they are
> compiled, are cooped up in tiny rooms and 'crashed' for hours on end. They
> spend their whole lives on dirty, ill-maintained computers, and are
> unceremoniously deleted when they're not needed anymore."
>
> Granola said the software is kept in unsanitary conditions and is
> infested with bugs.
>
> "We know alternatives to this horror exist," he said, citing industry
> giant Microsoft Corp. as a company that has become extremely
> successful without resorting to software testing.
>
> PETS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of software
> programs and promoting alternatives to software testing.

Micheal these people can't be for real, there obviously macking fun of
the fanatical animal rights groups. Although I must admit I got a
chuckle  from this post, the rest of my email was rather boring today.

Stephen A. Pluhar
SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA           Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865      Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1