Macs versus other computers in biosciences (Re: IBI in b.methds...)

Peter Rice rice at embl-heidelberg.de
Wed Oct 6 03:13:02 EST 1993

In article <5OCT199322184017 at cc.utah.edu>, djs1539 at cc.utah.edu (DAVE SEGAL) writes:
> In article <CEELK1.1qD at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>, gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes...
> {In article <199310050049.AA27414 at Menudo.UH.EDU> Davison at UH.EDU (Dan Davison) writes:
> {>... The *vast* majority of molecular biologists are using Macs.
> {
> {Did anyone else notice in the recent Secret of Life show on PBS that
> {all of the computers seen in use by biologists were Macs?  With I think
> {the one exception of an IntelPC at CDC.
> {
> {I don't know what actual percentages are, but Macs do seem predominant
> {in the biosciences.
> {
> Mac rules, DOS drools!

I guess so, but why use DOS applications any more? Windows is the way to
make the PC useful to biologists.

I use Windows at home but have to use Macintoshes at work (well, Alphas,
VAXstations and Unix for real work :-)

Windows wins, Macs are tosh, DOS is dross.
But what really counts is the software available.

 Peter Rice, EMBL                             | Post: Computer Group
                                              |       European Molecular
 Internet:    Peter.Rice at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   |            Biology Laboratory
                                              |       Postfach 10-2209
 Phone:   +49-6221-387247                     |       69012 Heidelberg
 Fax:     +49-6221-387306                     |       Germany