Anemone Identification.

Scott Southurst maverick at deakin.edu.au
Wed Oct 6 00:44:09 EST 1993

I am currently a second year student at Deakin University Warnambool Australia
where I study Aquatic Biology.  Part of a subject we do here (Aquatic Animal
Communities) involves a project which concentrates on the Taxonomy of a
particular Phyla or general group.
	For my project I have chosen to examine the Phyla Cnidaria and recently
I collected a bright orange Anemone which has not been seen by any of the staff
that I have talked too.  For those who are familiar with the Phylum it is
Morphologically Identical to the "Common Red" Anemone - Actinidae tenebrosa
(Please forgive me if I have spelt the name wrong as I haven't a reference here)	My question is this:-

Has anyone ever seen members of this species any colour other than the bright
red which they are normally observed as??

I am also wondering if it is possible to determine if two anemones are of
different species by simple examination of the nematocysts on the tentacles.
If so, this would be a simple method of determining if this orange example is
a different species but this may be complicated by variation with species.

      ./~  \         *  Scott Southurst (maverick at deakin.edu.au)   *
       ~~\  \        *  Deakin University, Warrnambool, Australia  *
	 //  \       *    Aquatic Biology/Computer Programming     *
          |   \___/| *  A500 - 1084s - 1meg - AMOS 1.34 - AMOS 3d  *
       /~/~~   ___/  *  Compiler - AND LOVING IT!! (Soon A1200??)  *