Macs versus other computers in biosciences

smith at smith at
Sat Oct 9 09:17:45 EST 1993

In article <olam-071093152604 at>, olam at (Ola Myklebost) writes:
> But with PCs you have to spend 5-10 fold more time for support per user...
> And (at least here) we have to spend much more on network software etc for
> a PC (at least to get windows versions)...

This is our view.  We will nolonger support PCs here.  We just do not have
the DAYS it sometimes takes to set up PCs, particularly in our complex
networked environment.  Setting up IP/TCP + mail on a Mac takes 30-45mins.
Then you walk away adn the user is all set.

|Ross Smith,  Research Computing Resource, Department of Cell Biology, NYU-MC|