Lactation period.

SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Sat Oct 16 15:02:39 EST 1993

> From:          Basavaraju Shankarappa <bsh at med.pitt.edu>
> Subject:       Re: Lactation period.
> To:            pjh3142 at rigel.tamu.edu (Pascal Hua)
> Date:          Fri, 15 Oct 93 17:04:29 EDT
> Cc:            bioforum at net.bio.net

> Cattle from breeds like Holstein Fresian and Jersey can give you milk for
> years together.  But the yield in comparison to the maintainance is not
> economical.  So the ideal split that is recommended in veterinary circles
> is to milk these cows for 10 months and then give a rest for two months
> that should correspond to the last two months of gestation for the next
> calf.  So, the ideal cycle is to have a calf every 12 months and get milk
> from each cow for 10 months in a year.
>     I guess, the experts in human lactation should be able to comment
> on the other part.
> Raj Shankarappa
> bsh at med.pitt.edu
> >
> > Hi,
> >   I would like to know what are the common lactation durations in mamals.
> > As I anderstand it, it stops if not stimulated, but if it is, how long can
> > it last... We were arguing at least about two :  Cow, Human, does anybody
> > has idea about those and other ?
> > Thanks, Pascal
> > pjh3142 at rigel.tamu.edu

 I've heard that there are several human societies where it is not
uncommon to breast feed children for the first three years of life.
So I guess lactation could last at least that long in humans possibly
even longer. Although I must admit I'm not an expert on the topic.

Stephen A. Pluhar
SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA           Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865      Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1