Is there a blood-enteric system barrier? - 1 or 2 refs. needed

Sun Oct 10 13:17:00 EST 1993

In arrticle, <9310100744.AA19487 at>,
nick.waanders at (Nick Waanders) wrote:

> Good references on
> this are GI phsiology books and a huge volume of pharmacoloty literature
> which discusses "first pass effects" on oral medications.  It is no small
> feat to get a medication (reliably) from the GI tract into the blood, and
> even harder to get them into brain.

I am somewhat new to this area and am interested in the '1st pass effect" as
a protective barrier for toxic materials.  The question is, how much of an
orally ingested compound (phenol, to be exact) would be detoxified before
reaching the liver.  I would very much appreciate one or two particular
references that I could use as a starting point for a full literature search,
that address the metabolizing capacity of the GI tract and at which point it
is "saturated".

Replies may be sent directly to me.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Schlosser

schlosser at

CIIT (Chemical Industry Institute of Toxicology)
PO Box 12137
Res. Tri. Park, NC  27709

(sorry, no fancy do-dads)