THALASSEMIA - PLEASE HELP!!

Dan Jacobson danj at dev.gdb.org
Tue Oct 12 17:14:22 EST 1993

In article <dorene-041093132309 at bsd-mac11.bsd.uchicago.edu> dorene at delphi.bsd.uchicago.edu (Dorene E. Perkins) writes:
>Hello!
>
>I have a question regarding a disease/disorder called Thalassemia (a.k.a.
>Mediterranean's Disease).  If anyone out there has any knowledge about
>this, or knows of a society or agency that can provide me with some
>information, I would really appreciate if you would let me know more about
>it.

A gopher/wais search of OMIM (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man), finds
several entries directly concering Thalassemia and quite a few which
mention Thalassemia, those with Thalassemia in there title are:

-----------

*FIELD* NO
141900

*FIELD* TI
*141900 HEMOGLOBIN--BETA LOCUS [HBB; SICKLE CELL ANEMIA, INCLUDED;
BETA-THALASSEMIAS, INCLUDED; HEINZ BODY ANEMIAS, BETA-GLOBIN TYPE,
INCLUDED; METHEMOGLOBINEMIA, BETA-GLOBIN TYPE, INCLUDED; ERYTHREMIA,
BETA-GLOBIN TYPE, INCLUDED; DYSERYTHROPOIETIC ANEMIA, CONGENITAL,
IRISH OR WEATHERALL TYPE, INCLUDED]

-----------

*FIELD* NO
187550

*FIELD* TI
187550 THALASSEMIA, BETA+, SILENT ALLELE

-----------

*FIELD* NO
141750

*FIELD* TI
*141750 HEMOGLOBIN H-RELATED MENTAL RETARDATION [HBHR; MENTAL
RETARDATION WITH Hb H; ALPHA-THALASSEMIA/MENTAL RETARDATION, DELETION
TYPE; ATR, DELETION TYPE; ATR1; ATR-16]

-----------

*FIELD* NO
301040

*FIELD* TI
*301040 ALPHA-THALASSEMIA/MENTAL RETARDATION SYNDROME, NONDELETION
TYPE [ATR, NONDELETION TYPE; ATR2; X-LINKED ALPHA-THALASSEMIA/MENTAL
RETARDATION; ATRX]

To retrieve the full entries and do your own searches point your gopher
client at gopher.gdb.org and select:

-->  12. Search Databases at Hopkins (Vectors, Promoters, NRL-3D, EST, OMIM./

   -->  9.  Search OMIM and the Genome Data Base (GDB)/

     -->  10. OMIM - Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man <?>

Write me a note if you need help getting started with gopher.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at mail.gdb.org