Smith's Paper(s) on Site-Directed Mutagenesis

Caroline A Breitenberger cbreiten at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Mon Oct 18 18:52:21 EST 1993

John Slonimsky (wc8754 at writer.yorku.ca) asked for Smith's initial
paper(s) dealing with site-directed mutagenesis and recent reviews
on the same topic.  I hope I am not doing someone's homework for
them.  For the general interest readers who watch this newsgroup,
however, I would recommend the following (by no means a
comprehensive list):

Original papers:
Hutchison, C.A., Phillips, S., Edgell, M.H., Gillam, S., Jahnke,
P., and Smith, M. (1978) Mutagenesis at a Specific Position in a
DNA Sequence. J. Biol. Chem. 253, 6551-6560.

Zoller, M.J., and Smith, M. (1983) Oligonucleotide-Directed
Mutagenesis of DNA Fragments Cloned into M13 Vectors. Methods in
Enzymol. 100, 468-500.

(For the uninitiated: there have been many modifications of the
basic procedure resulting in improvements in the overall efficiency
of mutagenesis.  Several companies sell kits to introduce site-
directed mutations into any protein for which one has cloned DNA.
See bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts for complaints about the expense
and waste of said kits.  However, the availability of these kits
has made site-directed mutagenesis feasible even for those with
little experience in molecular biology.)

Slightly dated reviews:
Baum, R.M. Enzyme Chemistry Set to Advance as New Techniques are
Applied.  Chem. & Eng. News (July 14, 1986) pp. 7-14.

Botstein, D., and Shortle, D. (1985) Strategies and Applications of
in Vitro Mutagenesis.  Science 229, 1193-1201.

Look for up-to-date reviews in the next few weeks in Science and
Nature and other such journals, communicating the significance of
the Nobel prize.

A basic textbook, supposedly suitable for science journalists (?):
Watson , J.D., Gilman, M., Witkowski, J., and Zoller, M. (1992)
"Recombinant DNA" (Second Edition). W.H. Freeman and Co., New York.
See especially Chapters 11 (In Vitro Mutagenesis) and 23