Testing for Mouse Hepatitis Virus

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu
Wed Oct 27 22:24:49 EST 1993

I have some human tumor lines which have been propagated in athymic nude mice.
The mouse colony came down with MHV and the tumors have not been grown since.
However, prior to this outbreak, several samples were preserved in freezing
media and stored in liquid nitrogen.

We would now like to attempt propagation again, possibly with the help of
matrigel.  However, MHV testing seems difficult to come by.

The only test available appears to be the MAP test (mouse antibody production).
Our animal facility is unable to do this test and Charles Rivers wants
$750/tumor sample (non-GLP) or $900/sample (GLP).

Is there a cheaper/easier way of doing this?  Does anybody have any specific
knowledge of a PCR test for MHV?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I can summarize e-mail

Thank you in advance.

-Kathy