microscope slide labels... suggestions requested

klier at cobra.uni.edu klier at cobra.uni.edu
Wed Sep 1 20:18:14 EST 1993

In article <CCM9nM.pI at qdpii.ind.dpi.qld.gov.au>, ianst at qdpii.ind.dpi.qld.gov.au (Ian Staples) writes:
> klier at cobra.uni.edu writes:
>>If you're after *archivally permanent* slide labels, none of the
>>products above are probably suitable.  For the herbarium, I use
>>acid-free paper, laser printed and then run through an infrared
>>copier (it melts the plastic carrier into the paper fibers better).
>>These are glued to the slide with a neutral pH PVA adhesive, ...
>
> Back in the days when I made slides I seem to recall that we
> "varnished" the labels on with the same stuff that we used to
> seal the cover glass - 30 years ago that was "plain" (i.e. clear)
> fingernail polish.  But I guess we weren't looking for true archival
> storage. ...
>
> There certainly doesn't seem to be any point in making the label
> more permanent than the specimen anyway.

True, but slides can last quite a while... I just finished cataloging
some serial sections done in the 1890's.  The labels were written
in india ink, but the paper they were on was crumbling and lifting
off the slides.  The sections themselves, however, were still in good
shape... staining still good, sections untorn... just a slight drying
of the medium at the edge of the coverslip.  Wish I knew how they
did it--- they look better than some of the slides we purchased 2
years ago for the teaching collection!  ;-)

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI