"Tell me all you know" requests

ROBERT BOOT, HERSTON MEDICAL LIBRARY mail_boot at uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au
Fri Sep 3 09:12:50 EST 1993

In article <00971E8D.4C6AD1C0.1436 at UDCVAX.BITNET>, hkaplan at UDCVAX.BITNET (Howard Kaplan) writes:
> hi my name is cynthia I am a grad student at etsu
> looking for information on the use of biotechnology in oil spill clean-up
> if you have any information or reference on this subject please send a
> mail message to the adress below. Currently writting thesis on this subject.
>
> thanks

As a librarian, may I endorse the following comments. The extent to which the
net is being used by some to avoid the effort & joys of library research
disturbs me as well.
If such students have done a reasonable ammount of work themselves they could
at least give a short summary of the resources they *have* explored, if only to
save the rest of us from duplicating this.
I know these matters are addressed, in part, in various FAQs. This does not
seem adequate, especially while many (yes I am guilty too!) reward these people
by providing answers to these queries.

Others may have nobler motives than I. I often do it to show off & because it
is easy. A slightly less ignoble motive is that it is often easy to help
considerably at little cost to oneself.

I should be interested in other comments on this issue. As I have only been on
the net for a few months, I may have missed previous discussions on this.