teaching genetics to undergrd non-scientists

James P Laird jlaird at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Sep 8 07:57:15 EST 1993

In article <dstraus.binah.cc.brandeis.edu-260893134013 at 129.64.50.7> dstraus.binah.cc.brandeis.edu (Don Straus) writes:
>I am designing a new course on genetics for undergraduate nonPscience
>majors. I am looking for advice on teaching non-scientists, curriculum
>advice, texts, audiovisual materials, simple demonstrations and experiments
>and problem sets for such a course...

I suggest "The Cartoon Guide to Genetics".  It clearly explains
basic genetic concepts that any survey course includes.  It
is inexpensive, around $10 or so--much less than the $50 price
of traditional texts.  And it is fun.  I know TA's who have used
this in the classroom for general biology classes and at least
one lecturer in Anthropology assigned for a non-majors' course.

I do not have a copy handy, or I would give you the ISBN and
the names of the authors (Groenic and Whelis ?).  Perhaps
somebody will post it.