How many cells in a human?

roger at roger at
Thu Sep 9 09:12:02 EST 1993

In article <CD1s0w.86o at>, tobin at (Greg Tobin) writes:
> I would like to calculate the number of people needed to represent a
> mole of genomes.  Can anyone tell me how many cells in a human body?
> Thanks ahead
> Greg    Tobin at

	A gram of cells grown in culture contains something on the order of
1.0E9 cells. Therefore 70 kg of cells (=1 human) would contain something
like 7.0E13 cells.  However there are a lot (=/- quite a few) of red blood
cells which are considerably smaller than average, so this number may be

Roger C. Green,	Faculty of Medicine               Phone: (709)737-6884
Memorial University , St. John's, Newfoundland    FAX  : (709)737-7010