A "light" question on moths

Tom Poliquin poliquin at netcom.com
Sat Sep 11 00:06:42 EST 1993

Somehow around the office today the subject of moths came up. Two
individuals both recounted how their mothers had told them
that the powder on moths wings was toxic.. (actually my mother told
me it was pixie dust) Is this true?.... the toxic part I mean.

Also 60% of the people were in agreement that if the dust is removed
(I assume by some non-lethal means) that the moth would no longer be
able to fly. The only rational explanation I could think of is that
removal of the powder allowed moisture to permeate the wings increasing
their density......

Any actual facts would be greatly appreciated ... It should be obvious
by now that we don't have any.

Thanks ....

Tom

Tom Poliquin                        "... its only the moment that lasts"  -
Dedicated Systems                                                         -
(408) 779-2808                        JOSEPH CAMPBELL and BONNIE RAITT    -
Internet: poliquin at netcom.com                                             -