Update on Waterfowl Leg Bands

ULIBARRI at wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu ULIBARRI at wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Sat Sep 11 19:51:17 EST 1993

Thanks to all of you that sent me suggestions.  There were lots of requests
for updates and comments/criticism.  I thought that I'd try a general post to
address all of them.  Okay, first I gave you an incomplete number.  The number
actually is 828-88960 and is a US Fish & Wildlife Service band.  I called the
USFWS Bird Banding Lab (301-498-0403) and discovered that this gander was
banded on July 9, 1991 in LewistonID-about 20 miles from Pullman WA where I am.
The gander was transported from Oregon to Idaho as part of a program moving
nuisance flocks away from Oregon.  No wonder that the guy thought my place
looked like home.  He was probably reared in a park or golf course around
people.  That's all there is to know about him.
To respond to some of the comments.  I have not touched, tried to touch, catch,
or tame this wild gander in any way.  I got the number by watching him through
binoculars.  I do supplement my birds with grain and so he did learn that some
people supply food, but you have to be carrying a white bucket that makes grain
noises before he will approach within 100 ft.
My geese are not domestic geese or domestic-Canada crosses.  My birds are
probably Moffit's subspecies.  I say probably because these birds are derived
from wild birds in this area (mostly rescued after hunting season), and the
birds in this area are probably Moffit's.
None of the captive-wild hybrids will be released without USFWS approval, and
all of them were marked within 24 hr of hatching by clipping the right rear toe
as required by my USFWS permit.
The geese roam on ten dog-fenced acres with a natural stream and pond.  They
are not cooped up or crowded.
I realize that by letting wild birds land on my acerage I am running a disease
risk, but this population is maintained as naturally as possible, and besides
roofing ten acres would be pretty pricey.
Next, yes I feed grain all winter.  I realize that supplying a food source may
disrupt migration patterns, but if the thousands of acres of wheat fields and
humans haven't already done that I would be pretty surprized.
Do I feed enough or do my birds have to go hungry?  In the winter I feed almost
 75lbs of rolled barley per day.  This goes to feed my geese and a lot of free-
loaders.  On ten acres the geese continue  to graze all winter long.
The last criticism was hard to respond to.  I clip the primary feathers on
on my birds. This is temporary.  I do not pinion the geese.  Is it hard on
them not to fly?  I really don't know, but I would guess that since Canada
geese are naturally flightless every year (while the goslings are growing) I
don't think I'm being inhumane.  Thank you all again for your suggestions/
comments.  Please e-mail if you have further opinions/comments.