Phototaxis in insects - why?

Herman Hillebrand hermanh at bio.vu.nl
Mon Sep 20 01:52:21 EST 1993

Phototaxis in insects - why?

It is a misunderstanding that light is not available in the night.
There is light of stars, of the moon, the last light of the evening,
the first light of the new day. Lots of light if you are built to use
very small quantities for your orientation.
And then, there were those humans, using unnatural amounts of light.
Humans which never saw the splendour of the stars in a moonless night.
Which never learnt that full moon is sufficient to read a newspaper in
the middle of the night. And all the noctornal organisms using the light
of the night for their orientation are blinded by our stupid lanterns and
other light sources.
They are the victims of our light-fouling.