alcohol dehydrogenase

Marty Sachs msachs at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 20 21:32:32 EST 1993

In article <27l1k6$4v8 at news.umbc.edu> noronha at coe1.engr.umbc.edu (Who
wants to know?) writes:
>Hi,
> Are there any databases on inhibitors of enzymes?. I'm particularly
interested
>on inhibitors of alcohol dehydrogenase.

We've used 4-methyl pyrazole (available from Sigma) with great success.

>Also, would anyone be aware of any work
>where the adh gene was deleted? I am working on a yeast biotransformation
>process where alcohol dehydrogenase is responsible for a lot of
byproduct, and
>hence would like to reduce its activity/delete the gene.

I assume you thinking specifically in yeast???  A selective agent (allyl
alcohol) used in maize to isolate ADH null mutations was first used in
yeast (Megnet, 1967, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 121: 194), so I assume that
there are ADH null mutant strains in yeast.

          Marty Sachs
USDA/ARS & Agronomy/UIUC    msachs at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu [internet]
S108 Turner Hall            msachs at UIUCVMD [bitnet]
1102 S. Goodwin Ave.        (217) 244-0864 [phone]
Urbana, IL  61801           (217) 244-7703 [FAX]