CALL FOR DISCUSSION: GRASSES-SCIENCE/bionet.biology.grasses

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at NET.BIO.NET
Tue Apr 5 12:50:05 EST 1994

We have recently set up a prototype newsgroup called
grasses at net.bio.net on the topic of research into various types of
grasses "especially cereal, forage, and turf species", but it has
attracted enough interest that a proposal has been submitted for full
BIOSCI newsgroup status now.

Discussion on the following proposal will now be open through 14 April
on BIOFORUM/bionet.general (*not* on BIONEWS/bionet.announce).  This
message is also being posted to the grasses mailing list, but replies
should be sent to either bioforum at net.bio.net or
bioforum at daresbury.ac.uk.  For those who are not on the
BIOFORUM/bionet.general newsgroup currently, either read
bionet.general on USENET or contact one of the following biosci
addresses to sign up by e-mail:

Subscription Address                 Location
--------------------                 --------
biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
biosci at net.bio.net                   Americas and the Pacific Rim

One warning, however: BIOFORUM/bionet.general is a "chatty" newsgroup
and many other items will be discussed there besides this newsgroup
proposal.  USENET news access is definitely better than e-mail if you
want to monitor only this discussion.

Discussion Guidelines
---------------------
Please do not post one-line messages saying things like "I am in favor
of such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter below and to propose modifications prior to the vote.
If the charter is perfect as is, then there is no need for anyone to
say anything!!!

The newsgroup discussion leader may submit a revised proposal in light
of the discussion, and the new charter would be included in the call
for votes which will go out on 15 April (Newsgroup Discussion leaders
- please note this deadline - if no revisions are received before the
deadline, the original charter will be voted on.).

Please be aware that only one vote is counted per e-mail address, so
it is necessary to have your own account in order to vote.  Multiple
votes from the same address are not accepted.  If you are interested
in the following newsgroup, but do not have an e-mail address of your
own, please obtain one from your computer center before the call for
votes is issued.

Proposed e-mail addresses: grasses at net.bio.net
                           grasses at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion Leader:  Allen Wright
		    Iowa State University
		    adwright at iastate.edu

Newsgroup Charter: bionet.biology.grasses is a forum for scientific
discussions/questions regarding grasses, especially cereal, forage,
and turf species, including, but not limited to, their ethnobotany,
evolution, physiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics and
utilization.

Although many of the members of the prototype group are scientists,
there are others involved in production who have joined us.  I look
forward to postings from producers as well as those involved in
utilization, since these would serve, for example, to provide the
scientists insight into problems facing the production and utlilzation
of grain and forage.

Formation of a newsgroup will provide:

*** A forum for discussion of new ideas, problems and recent developments in
the field.

*** A bulletin board for announcements of meetings, funding sources and
job opportunities.

*** Means for sharing mutants and other genetic stocks, molecular probes,  DNA
libraries,  recombinant inbreds, etc.

*** Potential opportunities for initiating collaboration.

*** A repository of practical advice, new methodologies, frequently
asked questions.  (If bionet.biology.grasses passes, I would seek
contributions for a FAQ, which I will post periodically or try to make
available by some other means, such as ftp).  Just a few examples of
what the FAQ could contain might include:

Techniques on tissue sampling and DNA preparation,  practical advice on
preparing a c-DNA library,  how maize is wet milled, and perhaps the name,
E-mail Address and  professional interests of subscribers.

The newsgroup is expected to run unmoderated and I am willing to act as the
current coordinator.

Allen Wright (adwright at iastate.edu)