WILL PAY $$$$ FOR HORSEHAIR WORMS!!

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Wed Apr 6 16:20:48 EST 1994

In Article <01HATGT4ZSFM8Y5VJZ at msuvx2.memst.edu>
CAPERRY at MSUVX2.MEMST.EDU writes:
>	I am in need of horsehair worms.  They are long, white, and
>extrememly thin.  They tend to bunch together in wooded areas, barns, etc.
>Scientific name, I believe, is neumatimorph.

Horsehair worms belong to the phylum Nematomorpha, and are contained in
2 recognized families, Gordiidae, and Chorodidae.  The adults are freeliving
in water and the larvae are parasitic in insects. I usually recieve 2 or 3
each year from veterinarians whose clients find the worms in their pets water
dish. You may have some success culturing them from camel back crickets. As the
larvae mature, they actively escape from the insect and become freeliving. It
seems we usually see them associated with drowned insects. Give your local
veterinarians a call to see if they have some clients with recent experience
with the worms. Perhaps you can obtain some bugs from their environs. Good luck