Apoptosis vs. necrosis

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Wed Apr 13 13:51:59 EST 1994

In article <199404131655.JAA01867 at net.bio.net>, CGE at CU.NIH.GOV writes:
> The definition from Dorland's medical Dictionary:
>
> Apoptosis is derived from the Greek Apo- [meaning separation
> or derivation from] and -ptosis [silent p, meaning downward
> displacement]. Apoptosis = a falling off.
>
> Dale, what is so strange sounding about apo-tosis? There are
> many 'pt' words with a silent p - pteridine, pterygoid, Ptolemy,
> asymptote, pteridophyte, ptarmigan, ptomaine, and every kids
> favorite - pterodactyl.
>
> Graham

Andrew Wyllie pronounces it as per the Greek derivation (silent p) and I assume
he has some say in the matter.  However, since many people over here can't
even pronounce his name correctly I think this is a lost cause.
	Personally, I'm no purist and enjoy the ay-POP-toh-siss (said with a
distinct Southern drawl) that seems to be the norm around here.  Also, at the
FEBS meeting in Dublin in 1992 another derivation of the name was put forward
which supports the non-silent P....

Spontaneously dying cell resembles Popcorn
When encountered, flasks of dying cells are usually tossed in the bin/trash

so...     A "pop"!  Toss it!

(My apologies to the original author of this who had the advantage of a set
 of slides to put the point across)
			Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.