apoptosis vs. necrosis vs. pop-tarts (pronunciation)

Paul Schlosser SCHLOSSER at ciit.org
Tue Apr 19 17:02:46 EST 1994

There's a short but nice "review" article by Alan Eastman on this subject
in Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 121:160-164 (1993), that I just
came across in attempting to clean my desk.  It notes that the term
"apoptosis" was coined to emphasize the normal balance between cell replication
(mitosis) and cell death (apoptosis).  Thus, thinking of it as the opposite
of mitosis, it is easier to use the proper pronunciation "apo-tosis" with
the 2nd p silent.  (I still like a-*pop*-tosis for the sound of it, though 8-)

schlosser at beta.ciit.org