Mycoplasma Contamination in TC

T P Ramkumar ramu at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Apr 22 10:13:50 EST 1994

Hi,

	We, in our lab are concerned about Mycoplasma contamination in
our tissue culture facility, and would like to ask you guys a few questions.
But, first -

-PCR diagnosis of our cell lines showup positive for one species of Mycoplasma.
_Membrane fusions in few cell lines have been observed.

So, the questions i have are:

1. Is there a more reliable way to diagnose mycoplasma infection, esp. since
i'm a bit wary of PCR ?

2. If at all there is Myco. infection, what would be an effective way to
get rid of it ? Dumping all cells, scrubbing with bleach etc ??

3. What are the chances of the infection jumping on to other clean cell
lines when there is no direct/indirect contact between the two, ie. no
cross utilization of media etc.

4. Can myco. be picked up from a contaminated laminar flow ??

thanks

 _
ramu