Question on XY stuff, please help?

Remillard Carmelle V. remillac at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Sun Apr 24 12:09:47 EST 1994

> On 27 Apr 1994, Geoff Camp wrote:

> I was talking with a group of people about people whose XY chromosomes are
> "screwy," like XXY, etc, and someone recalled hearing about men who were
> for some reason EXTRA-masculine.  That is to say, they were very hairy and
> extremely aggressive, very MALE.  We wondered if it were in ANY way
> possible to get an set of chromosomes that were XYY, or how genetically
> this could happen.  Could someone be XYY, or maybe just Y ?  Thanks in
> advance to anyone who answers!
>
> Geoff Camp

In answer to your question, yes it is possible to get an XYY male..  It's
a special case of heterochromosomic aneuploidy where there addition of a
chromosome, much like the case for Trisomy 21 where you have an extra
chromosome 21.  The problem could be due to a translocation of the
chromosome onto another during chromosome replication..  I'm not sure of
the exact name for this syndrome...  However, some people have suggested
that the disorder could be more prevalent in imprisoned men, something
which is purely speculative.  I hope this helped you out somewhat.

cvr