solubilization procedure for sperm membrane

wmelchior at fdant.nctr.fda.gov wmelchior at fdant.nctr.fda.gov
Tue Apr 26 13:31:42 EST 1994

In article <2p678k$ivi at tamuts.tamu.edu> sac5001 at tamuts.tamu.edu
 (Scott Alexander Coonrod) writes:

>I am trying to isolate a protein from bovine sperm plasma membrane.
>I have used deoxycholate as a detergent in the past and didnt get
> the quantity of
>protein I thought I should. Does anyone know of a good solubilization
>procedure for sperm plasma membranes.

Scott-

It's been many years since I was interested in isolating DNA from sperm, but
my recollection is you also need a sulfhydyl reagent, like mercaptoethanol or
DTT (and lots of it).  One problem that sperm from different species differ.

For proteins from mouse sperm:  Balhorn et al, Biochem 16, 4074-4080 (1977).

Good luck, Bill Melchior
wmelchior at fdant.nctr.fda.gov