cladistics

Craig Marshall craigm at sanger.otago.ac.nz
Wed Apr 27 22:06:56 EST 1994

std_dickout at hg.uleth.ca wrote:
> I am interested in information and/or opinions concerning the use of Maximum
> Parsimony analyses and Distance analyses with respect to the treatment of
> molecular data in the field of cladistics.  Explanations dealing with
> how these two methods differ from one another would also be appreciated.
> Please mail me directly.

> Thank you very much.
> J.L. Burke

There is a very good description of this in Molecular Systematics
edited by Hillis and Moritz published by Sinauer Associates, where in
Chapter 11 Swofford and Olsen discuss just this problem. Essentially
distance bad, parsimony (and others), good.

Cheers,

        Craig Marshall          	craigm at sanger.otago.ac.nz
        Biochemistry Department 	Phone 	+64 3 479 7570
        University of Otago     	Fax	+64 3 479 7866
        P.O. Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand