TYPE O+ PARENTS and TYPE B+ child (POSSIBLE?)

Kathleen Anderson vstr18a at mercury
Fri Apr 29 20:04:47 EST 1994

Bruce Bigby (bbigb.henr801b at xerox.com) wrote:

: Does anyone know if it is possible for two parents that are both type O+
: to have a child that is B+?  I want to know even if the outcome is
: remotely possibile.  If you can site literature that supports the possibility,
: I would be greatful, but it is not necessary.

: Please respond by email.

Yes, it is possible.  There is something called "Bombay blood group,"
first seen in (but not limited to) India.  Bombay blood group person
appears to be Type O by conventional blood typing, but is actually
lacking a precursor from which the A and B antigens are formed.  This
person may still carry A and or B antigens, which can be passed on to
offspring, and since offspring will most likely get the functional
precursor from the other parent, the combined outcome can be a type A or
type O child.  (Two Bombays could produce a Type AB child but this is a
quite remote possibility, since Bombay blood group is "rare."

Source:  _A Dictionary of Genetics_, King and Stansfield, 1990.

(I am also posting this to the group to prevent duplication of efforts.)

--
Kathleen Anderson    "Civilization is a race between education and disaster."
vstr18a at sfsu.edu                 - H.G. Wells in _Experiment in Autobiography_