Blood donation market (was: HELP FOR DIMITRI!)

Jim Hsu jimhsu at ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Sat Apr 30 00:37:31 EST 1994

>In article <2pq3in$d7n at cs.umb.edu> sasha at eris.cs.umb.edu (Alexander Chislenko) writes:
>
>>   Is it so difficult to figure it out or am I missing something?
>
>speculations.  Once blood donation, for instance, becomes known as
>the poor's last resort, donation will actually decrease.  There are a
>
>Mike Holloway
>mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu

If you're paying for donations from well off, non-drug using individuals,
such as straight A students, it would hardly become known as the poor's
last resort.  I think the original poster's ideal is marvelous.  Pay for
good blood, and economic pressures will increase donation.  If there is
a desperate shortage of type O blood, paying for it seems to be a good
solution for getting more O blood, right?

Pardon my ignorance, but haven't they developed a pig that produces
human blood?  Or maybe it's only for plasma.  What do you bio.hackers
think?  Can we engineer human blood so donations are no longer necessary?

Jim
jimhsu at mit.edu