BONE MARROW DONATION FOR MORIKIS

mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu
Fri Apr 29 21:57:28 EST 1994

In article <Covv36.A5y at ljcrf.edu> news at ljcrf.edu (Network News Administrator) writes:

>HOW CAN YOU HELP?
>-----------------
>1)  Have your Blood HLA tissue typed.  This test requires just a few tablespoons
>of blood. We are organizing a drive to be held here at the Scripps Clinic in
>the near future.  The details will be posted within the coming week.  The cost of
>the test is $45, well worth paying for the possibility of saving a life!  DON'T LET
>THE COST OF THE TEST DISUADE YOU FROM BEING TESTED, ARRANGEMENTS ARE BEING MADE TO
>COVER THE COST OF TESTING INDIVIDUALS UNABLE TO PAY THE $45 FEE.

I hasten to point out that in many regions and states, such as New
York, the local Red Cross has tied the cost of testing to platelet
donation.  I've been typed, and called back in for the additional DR
typing that takes place if a preliminary match is found, and not had
to pay a penny.  They ask that you donate platelets at least once.
Check with your local Red Cross to see what your region's situation
is.

I'm not sure that its clear from the post, and just in case any of
you are in the dark, you can be tested and added to the database
anywhere in the US and Canada.  If you match Dimitri, or anyone else
for that matter, (a rare event at best) you'll be located.  Because
a match is rare, the participation of the majority of the population
is needed.  Because matches are more likely within ethnic groups,
and some ethnic groups refuse to participate in any kind of
anatomical gifts because of widely believed and circulated myths,
individuals from minority ethnic groups are particularly needed. Its
not a big deal.  Do it.

Mike Holloway
mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu