Question on XY stuff, please help?

LOCKSHIN, RICHARD A YPRLBIO at sjumusic.stjohns.edu
Fri Apr 29 07:49:16 EST 1994

In article <1994Apr27.105732.3475 at vaxa> drmljg at vaxa.hofstra.edu writes:
>In article <robison1.767234928 at husc9.harvard.edu>, robison1 at husc9.harvard.edu
>
>Studies were published which purported to show a link
>> between XYY and aggressiveness & criminal behaviour; it is generally
>> regarded that these studies were poorly conducted and used biased samples.
>>

>I am curious if there have been any studies that show a link between levels of
>testosterone in men and subsequent sexual aggressiveness? Is testosterone
>the main reason that men want to have sex with women? Are there a variety of
>reasons...and if so, then what percentage would male hormones account for the
>desire of males for sexual intercourse?
>
>I am interested in the full spectrum of behavior...from simply asking the girl
>next to you to dance - to date rape. Is there any correlation between a man's
>sex hormones and his behavior?
>
>It seems that lately a lot of attention (and consideration) is given to women
>during times when hormones flood their bodies causing various mood altering
>effects...such as during the menstrual cycle and during and after pregnancy...
>but is the same understanding being afforded to men and *their* hormonal cycles?
>
>I am interested in any studies and opinions in this regard. You may contact me
>on or off list.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Laurence Galian
>drmljg at vaxc.Hofstra.edu

i think that it is generally accepted that libido is pretty much
established by testosterone levels at puberty, and that thereafter
it declines only slowly if testosterone is lost after that (in
humans; in other animals libido is tightly linked to testosterone
with no psychic component).  Libido and direction (sexual orientation)
of interest are different.  Libido only very slightly reflects t
levels (which do not vary much) and direction does not.  this is
all pretty well covered in many books--a few years back, by John
Money and Annika Ehrhardt--and you should be able to find a lot
of information at Hofstra or at the St. Johns library (the latter
is actually pretty good).
--richard a lockshin