Alt.bio.hackers Announcement and request for FAQ material

mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu
Sat Apr 30 22:51:12 EST 1994

In article <94120.135532U58563 at uicvm.uic.edu> <U58563 at uicvm.uic.edu> writes:
>***High tech crime and biotechnology:  New York's "organlegger"
>(kidney thief),

This is a serious matter and there's no language strong enough to
properly express my anger.  There are few things that piss me off as
much as some unthinking idiot passing on this myth.  7 people a day
die on the transplant waiting list after waiting months to years for
a transplant that didn't come.  Maybe you'd like to meet these
people.  They're good people.  A large part of the reason for why
people don't donate is that irresponsible myth.  Its not enough that
this myth is feeding into anti-US sentiment in Latin-American
countries and causing the beatings of Americans and the kidnapping
of American children.  Apparently it has to be spread over the net
as well.

There is no evidence for it anywhere in the world, and not for lack
of tabloid fear mongers trying their best to twist and stir things
up with as much indirection and innuendo as they can possibly
muster.  We'll no doubt see some of this reasoning from idiots
trying to link this myth to human rights abuses in China.  You seem
to have something to do with biology.  Maybe you've heard something
along the way about immunology and graft rejection?  Are you going
to claim that you don't realize why the story is even mechanically
and biologically impossible?  Do you need it explained to you?
Maybe you didn't know how severe the donation crisis is in this
country.  Now you know.  Stop helping to make it worse.

Mike Holloway
mhollowa at epo.som.sunysb.edu