SBM project

David G. Rhodes rhodes at MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Aug 8 06:44:03 EST 1994

To: jyehmnca at uclink.berkeley.edu (James Song-Jeng Yeh)

On Aug 7,  4:39pm, James Song-Jeng Yeh wrote:
> Subject: SBM project
> Dear "Rhodes":
> 	I am wondering if you could give me a little bit more info on the
> nature of the SBM project and for what age level it is appropirate for???
There was a short item in "The Scientist" summarizing the same sort of
information I posted that might be useful to you.  The projects include a
series of several (6-8) small (hour or so) experiments.  For example, in
the unit on sound last year, they did a project with a "string-and-box
bass" to learn about vibrations, made a simple pipe out of straws to learn
about pitch, put a marker at the end of a paint stirrer (which was then
'twanged' to draw the oscillations on a piece of paper, went on a sound
scavenger hunt (looking for metallic sounds, squeaks, thumps, etc...) and a
few other projects.  At the end of the unit, they put together a 'radio
play' with sound effects, and sent tapes to the pen-pal-scientist.  Other
projects over the years have included making a camera (really!), designing
an "ecologically correct" town, designing an ice cream machine (with
certaqin limits on available materials), designing a "fun house", etc.
Grade levels 4-9 will be able to use the materials effectively, with
varying degrees of detail.

> And also the requirements to register as a volunteer scientist.
interest
Keep trying (or use the internet address - mparker at acs.bu.edu)

> 	Thank you very much.
>
> James Yeh
>
> jyehmnca at uclink.berkeley.edu
>

> Neurobiology
> Molecular and Cell Biology
> UC Berkeley
>-- End of excerpt from James Song-Jeng Yeh

| David G. Rhodes                   | RHODES at MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU   |
| Pharmaceutics Division            |                               |
| College of Pharmacy               | Phone:(512)471-4681           |
| The University of Texas at Austin | Fax:  (512)471-7474      }:)  |
| Austin, TX   78712-1074           |                               |