Survey: Cell Adhesion Molecules
pandagroup at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 02:00:03 EST 1994
I am currently preparing a study on the current and potential
applications of CELL ADHESION MOLECULES (CAMs) and CAMs
inhibitors to the treatment of inflammatory disease. I would be
grateful to anyone knowledgable in the field if they would answer
the following questionnaire.
You may return your responses to me via E-mail, or you can print
out the questionnaire and send the answers back to me via fax at
Dr. Kenneth G. Krul
QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED BY STUDY ON APPLICATIONS OF CAMs
TECHNOLOGY TO INFLAMMATORY DISEASES
This study will concentrate on the predicted use of cell adhesion
molecules in the treatment of inflammatory diseases to include
Beta-1 (VLA 1-6), Beta-2 (CD-18), Beta-3
ICAM-1, ICAM-2, ICAM-R
Application in Medical Practice
1. Where is CAMs therapy seen as holding a place in the
treatment of inflammatory diseases as it is currently practiced?
2. What is its (CAMs therapy) current use in treating
inflammatory diseases, if any?
3. What horizons are seen for its use over the next 5 to 15
4. What are the most probable CAMs therapy products to initially
emerge in practical applications and why?
5. In what ways will CAMs therapy be used as adjunctive therapy
to conventional treatment? 73
6. In what ways might CAMs therapy be used as the primary
Disease Specific Applications
7. Of the major inflammatory diseases, which are the primary
targets of CAMs therapy?
8. How will this change over the next 5 to 15 years?
9. What are the prospects for CAMs applications in:
a. Rheumatoid Arthritis?
b. Autoimmunity (SLE, vitiligo, Graves disease, multiple
c. Chronic viral infection?
d. Allograft management?
e. Chronic bacterial inflammation/sepsis?
i. Reperfusion Injur
10. Which of the CAMs therapy technologies or approaches appears
to have the greatest application in treating inflammatory
11. Which are of secondary importance?
12. What characteristics, including side-effect risks, or other
contraindications will hinder or promote the market development
of CAMs therapy in the treatment of inflammatory diseases?
13. What clinical trials are under way involving the CAMs in the
treatment of inflammatory diseases?
14. What are the results to date?
15. What opinions exist among the medical community about CAMs
therapy benefits and limitations?
16. What service component is most likely to be necessary in the
acceptance of CAMs therapeutics in the medical community?
17. What time horizon exists for CAMs therapy products and
services as applied to the treatment of inflammatory diseases?
18. What pressing opportunities exist right now for the
application of CAMs in the treatment of inflammatory diseases?
19. What will be the predominant need ten years from now?
20. How much might CAMs therapy cost in treating inflammatory
More information about the Bioforum