RFD BIOCAN/bionet.prof-society.cfbs

Una Smith una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu
Thu Aug 18 16:24:44 EST 1994

Annette C. Hollmann <ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu> wrote:

>If the BIOCAN newsgroup is established, it should be distributed worldwide.
>This would allow scientists who have temporarily left Canada to keep tabs
>on what is happening "back home". ...

There are two ways this can be achieved already, without creating
a worldwide newsgroup:

1.  Most Usenet newsreaders are now NNTP clients.  This means that
the user can specify what Usenet host to read news from.  For example,
former Yale students can point their newsreaders at news.yale.edu
and read all the newsgroups in the yale.* hierarchy.  (Hint:  future
Yalies can do the same. ;-)

There already exists a large and active hierarchy for Canadian
newsgroups, can.*.  Many Canadians abroad already read the can.*
groups in this way.

2.  The proposed newsgroup will have a gated mailing list attached
(won't it?), which researchers abroad can subscribe to.

I'm not saying we shouldn't create this newsgroup.  An international
newsgroup "sponsored" by CFBS would certainly be welcomed everywhere,
just as sci.bio.ecology is, provided its topic is one that is of
international interest.  What exactly is this newsgroup expected to
cover?  What does the CFBS do?

	Una Smith			smith-una at yale.edu