"Normally create without a vote"?

Una Smith una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu
Fri Aug 19 11:31:54 EST 1994

Bernard Murray <bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov> wrote:

[...]
> Is there some strange historical conflict to which all new readers
> of this group should be initiated?

Not really.  Just more of the same.

> As a mere scorekeeper I am worried that Dave appears to have the
> last say (by virtue of being the administrator) whereas remarks
> from Una that appear relatively benign seem to provoke a heap of
> personal scorn.

This is how it looks to me too.  David is often the proponent of
ideas put forward for discussion.  It is unfortunate that he so
often perceives my comments on the proposals as being directed
against him.  That is not my intention.

Take the CFBS proposal, for instance.  Someone proposed the group
to BIOSCI, and David Kristofferson posted the proposal.  Somewhere
along the way, it became *his* proposal.  And he has interpreted my
criticism of the proposal as a criticism of him, or an attempt to
tell him how to do his job.  Now, what does David's administration
of BIOSCI etc. have to do with this specific proposal?

As I see it, the merits of the proposal at hand, which I have been
trying to discuss, have nothing to do with David Kristofferson, or
with how he does his job.

>At the end of the day, if Una objects to Dave as administrator then
>let her have a democratic go at changing the status quo. ...

My only beef with David Kristofferson here is over his insistance
that my (constructive!) criticism of X proposal constitutes a
personal affront against him and/or an attempt to harm bionet.*.
Neither perception is correct.

An administrator who cannot tolerate points of view that do not
match his own is a dictator.  I don't believe that David is a
dictator, but I feel that he has confused the two discrete roles
of administrator and proponent.  I believe this is the source of
the problem between us.

>... let's get on with the business in hand.

I'll second that!

	Una Smith			smith-una at yale.edu