Usenet client tricks?

Ashok Aiyar ashok at mirage.bioc.cwru.edu
Mon Aug 22 19:36:31 EST 1994

In article <33b71r$mdk at news.ycc.yale.edu> una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu (Una Smith) writes:

>Can anyone tell me how to fake a newsreader into thinking it's
>getting news from a server?  I've discussed this with people
>who think it should be possible, but no one has actually tried
>it.  I'm thinking of the trn client I have installed together
>with a rudimentary NNTP package, so I can read news from a
>remote server:  can this client software be made to read news
>from a (properly formatted) directory structure on the local
>machine?  What I have in mind is being able to read e-mail
>(and thus mailing lists) with my newsreader, without having
>a full server at hand (at least without getting a news feed).

A relatively trivial thing to do would be to run CNEWS or INN
on the same machine.  INN and CNEWS can both be configured to accept
connections only from specific IP addresses.  You could configure
the server to only accept connections fromthe loopback address
(127.0.0.1) ..... not too much to it, right?

Later,
Ashok
Ashok Aiyar                         Mail: ashok at mirage.bioc.cwru.edu
Department of Biochemistry                       Tel: (216) 368-3300
CWRU School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio         Fax: (216) 368-4544
MIME Enclosures OK