Mosquitoes

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu
Tue Aug 23 15:54:56 EST 1994

A personal observation by one who seems to be a favorite target of mosqui-
toe(?)s:  I found that by standing a meter or two from a group of ca. 20 peo-
ple I was able to avoid getting bitten.  I had assumed that since mosquitos
are attracted by body heat (Is this correct??) I formed a small patch easily
ignored due to the much larger heat source nearby.  At a farther distance
from the group, I seemed to form an independent heat source and once again
was bitten.  This mechanism works just as well for chemical gradients as for
heat.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol