Bionet.* propagation woes

Una Smith una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu
Thu Aug 25 09:53:09 EST 1994

Dave Mack <dmack at net.bio.net> wrote:

>There are, by my count, 62 bionet groups. Here's a copy of the
>bionet checkgroups message. You may want to ask the Usenet admin
>on your news server to run it if you aren't getting that many.

No thanks.  Without a feed of a newsgroup's traffic, it does
no good to create that newsgroup on our server.

We've got bionet.microbiology here at Yale but it has almost
no traffic.  Most of what there is goes "what's wrong with
this newsgroup?  Why aren't we seeing the traffic that is
being archived on net.bio.net?"  The articles are not getting
to Yale;  our feed is incomplete.

A Chemistry graduate student here has been working very hard
to resolve our partial feed problem.  It takes a *lot* of
work to track our bionet.* feed from one site to another.
If bionet.* had better propagation, we would not be having
this problem at all.

	Una Smith			smith-una at yale.edu