Fluorescence in Scorpions

Keith Clark K.CLARK at ee.surrey.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 19:01:29 EST 1994

Hi,

I have a pair of adult Imperial Scorpions (Pandinus Imperator) which, when
exposed to ultra-violet light strongly fluoresce with a vivid green colour.
Reading some 1950's literature I have found out that the lateral eyes are
sensitive to 370 nanometres light i.e. ultraviolet.

However, fluorescence is the translation of light to longer wavelengths, so
surely this means that scorpions would appear black in the ultraviolet part of
the spectrum. My questions therefore are:-

- Why do scorpions fluoresce (is it so they can identify one another)?

- What is it within the skin that causes fluorescence?

If these are dunb questions please bear with me as I am an electronics
engineer not a biologist. The questions arise from my experience with various
arachnids that I keep for a hobby and have been bothering me for sometime. I
look forward to hearing from someone who can shed some light on this subject.

                                           Cheers

                                                   Keith Clark.