Fluorescence in Scorpions

Frank Heasley fheasley at gate.net
Sat Aug 27 09:04:12 EST 1994

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu wrote:
Fluroescence in scorpions

I've observed the same phenomena in the common black scorpions found here
in Florida, and have demonstrated same many times to folks at the Museum
of Discovery and Science.  The original speculation was that it was a
hunting mechanism, as many insects are attracted by light and scorpions
are hunters.  Unfortunately, there's very little U.V. around at night,
when insects would be attracted, and when scorpions generally are out and
hunting.  The best data I've found so far is that as many insects mature
they generate fluorescent pigments from the natural breakdown and
interconversion of biomolecules: proteins, nucleic acids,
polysaccharides, etc.  These tend to accumulate in the exoskeleton, and
so they fluoresce.  In fact, I've noticed that large, older specimens do
appear to be more fluorescent than younger, smaller ones, and I don't
think that it's just the size that gives the appearance of a brighter
emission.  This is a fascinating subject, and I'd like to hear anyone
else's comments about it.

Frank Heasley, PhD
fheasley at gate.net