Bionet.* propagation woes

Terence P. Ma tpm at anat.umsmed.edu
Thu Aug 25 18:03:51 EST 1994

In article <33ib8l$30e at news.ycc.yale.edu> una at doliolum.biology.yale.edu (Una Smith) writes:

>It takes a *lot* of
>work to track our bionet.* feed from one site to another.
>If bionet.* had better propagation, we would not be having
>this problem at all.

I don't know. I am not sure this is your problem necessarily.

As a person who has administered news for a LONG time, and am quite familiar
with how bionet works, I would suggest that someone check with your news
administrator and see if Yale and its upstream sites actually are REQUESTING
bionet newsgroups. If you are getting feed from a major commercial site (like
UUNET) or from a regional node (like SURANet), then you can be assured of
actually receiving bionet, because they carry everything. However, if your
news server only receives from other institutions, then you have to assure
yourself that no institution along the way does not carry bionet.

This is not a propagation problem of bionet. This is true of anything
hierarchy beyond the major set (comp, news, rec, ... and, for some places,
alt), like biz.*, hiv.*, info.*, etc.

-----
Terence P. Ma, Ph.D.            Department of Anatomy
PHONE: 601-984-1654             Univ. Mississippi Medical Center
FAX:   601-984-1655             2500 North State Street
EMAIL: tpm at anat.UMSMED.EDU      Jackson, Mississippi 39216-4505